Welcome to La Luz Early Childhood Center, (La Luz ECC)
In August of 2002, La Luz ECC was opened in response to the lack of high quality childcare in the area. The school was originally formed and continues to be overseen by a board of directors affiliated with Sandia National Laboratory (SNL) and Sandia Laboratory Federal Credit Union. La Luz ECC is a state licensed, independently owned and operated 501(c)(3) school receiving all of its support from tuition income and from fundraising efforts.
Our director is Carol Piskorski and our Assistant Director/Business Manager is Lisa R. Opperman.
La Luz ECC Goals and Educational Philosophy
La Luz ECC is a 501(c)(3) not for profit program that:
- Is licensed by the State of New Mexico
- Follows all guidelines as established by the NAEYC
- Practices relationship-based care
- Welcomes children from ages 6 weeks to 5 years and their families
- Is responsive to individual differences
- Does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, creed, disability, national origin or any other factor protected
- Encourages healthy peer relationships and a sense of belonging
- Develops each child's self worth and confidence
- Employs an anti-bias, multi-cultural curriculum
- Is safe, clean and healthful
- Promotes emotional growth
- Is developmentally appropriate
- Has a professional staff that has been chosen based upon their education, experience, enthusiasm, love of children, commitment to early childhood education and to the Center's philosophies
Children learn most thoroughly and joyfully through play
Our philosophy is grounded in the developmental sequence of childhood and tempered by our close observation and delight in individual differences. All areas of a young child's growth (physical, motor, social, language, emotional, cognitive) are interrelated and contribute synergistically to help the child reach his or her potential. A strong emotional foundation is the key to acquiring the building blocks of lifelong learning - curiosity, confidence, cooperativeness, the ability to express oneself and listen, the desire to become involved, and self control. Our program provides a loving, attentive environment in order to give each child this emotional base, while providing a varied, flexible curriculum with opportunities for large muscle development, open-ended art exploration, science, puzzles, blocks, dancing and music, pretend play, and lots of books. Children will be able to make choices, solve problems and learn to be responsible for their actions. Field trips for the preschoolers and pre-kindergartners enrich the children's understanding of the world around them. Family participation allows children and parents to learn the power of play together and preserves the role of parents as the child's primary teachers. Continuity of care in our infant/toddler program is a unique feature of La Luz ECC. Children stay with the same team of teachers and mostly the same group of children from babyhood until they are ready for the preschool class. The children change rooms, but not teachers, once each year. Once graduated from the infant/toddler program, the children will enter our preschool for one year then a pre-kindergarten program for another year.